Tuesday, March 25, 2014

It's Women's History Month - the CELEBRITY women in my life!


Stand back, indeed! Stevie Nicks! One of the very first women in rock n roll that spoke to me. Her lyrics of pain, loss, love, debauchery and survival - I got it. Honest and raw without telling the entire ugly truth. Class, fashion and fearless. Dare my wild heart...she's 65 and one of my inspirations!


Women who rock especially these sisters - Ann & Nancy Wilson -  have my deepest adulation and respect! I wanted to be the hard rockin chick. I remember the girl I looked up to in my early college daze- Tara Kay - having the Magazine or Dog n Butterfly albums that she played over and over in her apt. while we learned lines for a show, entertained her friends or just vegged out. The female LZ ...


Elizabeth Montgomery/Samantha Stevens was the epitome of womanhood for me as a young girl. Crafty, beautiful, smart, funny and she was a witch w powers but chose the mortal life for love. 


The Accidental Feminist - Liz Taylor - grace, talent and resilient.  Her beauty was a given and she knew how to use it for the biggest role of her life - the first major outspoken celebrity to advocate for those w HIV/AIDS in raising funds for care, prevention and research. 


Dynamite talent - attractive, funny and kind. I watched "The Carol Burnett Show" throughout my entire childhood. She inspired be to become an actress. She made me look at myself differently as a woman. I could be funny and attractive - it was ok to be that. 



Nancy Drew - my escape as a young girl!!! Smart, inquisitive and she always solved the mystery!!! 


There aren't too many real rockin women that are coming up but Grace Potter sure is. She writes her own music, plays a variety of instruments and is like the hottest chick in R n R.


Janis is the original. She taught us that women can be brassy, ballsy and fierce. 



Marilyn is still the sexiest woman I know that really was shortchanged when it came to her intelligence. I think she was a shooting star. My favorite movie is "Some Like it Hot" but I think she really showed her true acting abilities in "The Misfits", so raw and honest! 


I love R n R and Joan Jett. She brought this grit to women in rock while maintaining a sweetness. She was my first R n R concert!!! I've been a fan for a long time!


I identified w Pat Benatar and dressed liked her in high school and early college. She had the voice that could belt out and shatter glass! Excellent autobio "Between a Heart and a Rock Place" she dealt w lots of sexism but persevered!  


Dorothy Dandridge was a courageous and fierce woman. I was always in awe of black women. She certainly broke barriers and was an amazing talent. Porgy and Bess along w Carmen Jones are her most remembered movies. 


Katey Sagal isn't afraid to challenge herself. Actress, singer and just one hellva woman. From back up singer w Bette Midler to notoriety as Peg Bundy on "Married w Children" to the evil plotting Gemma Teller on "Sons of Anarchy" she is one bad ass bitch. 



The face of feminism just turned 81 - Gloria Steinem -  she is one of the busiest women on the planet! She made it ok to be a feminist  and that equality was for all. 



Florida Evans - who didn't love "Good Times"?! My brother and I loved that show. It also gave us white middle class kids a chance to see what black folks were dealing with  and a good dose of humor that was different. She was tender and strong. 


The Queen of Acting in my generation - Meryl Streep. Admired, talented and gracious!!! She's a chameleon in her roles and those of us that are actresses - we aren't worthy - aspire to be that solid in our craft!  


The most powerful woman in the USA - Hillary Clinton and our next President!! I heard her speak @ AIDS 2012 in DC and she is just captivating. Advocating for the LGBT and Women's Rights communities globally - she's got my vote! 


She's not afraid of anyone - including the Beef industry! LOL! She's honest, funny and down-to-earth. My young adulthood into my current life she's been there - whether I agreed w her or not, really didn't matter - she was a presence of thought. 


I have been in awe of Frida Kahlo since I became aware of her. Her paintings and drawings are haunting and bewildering. Truly she marched to her own drum ... all the pain and agony she had to endure in her life are depicted in her art. I am drawn to it. 


As a young adult, "One Day At A Time" was the pinnacle of the late 70s-early 80s women living in the US. Strong, independent and smart! I learned about drugs, sex and R n R from that show! Mackenzie, Bonnie and Valerie ruled! 

No comments:

Post a Comment